Monday, January 31, 2011

A Letter of Thanks to A Class Team: Huskies Lose 3-1

Hockey isn't about winning. It is so much more. I had to write a letter to the team we played Sunday. No -not a letter because of problems... a letter because they were a class act.


Southern Maryland Sabres,

I wanted to take the time to thank the coaches, parents, and most importantly the players for demonstrating what a youth ice hockey game should be like. I was greatly impressed by all involved because of the level of respect demonstrated, on and off the ice. Your players are big, skilled, and most importantly play respectfully. Their respectful play didn’t prevent them from playing physically; it made them stand out as one of the better clubs and teams in the league.

I wanted to thank the Sabres for restoring some of my hope for what youth ice hockey should be like on a daily basis. The kids played hard, the game was great, they battled, and they skated away having fun. I could not ask for more as a parent.

I have had extremely bad experiences from one parent from another team (on more than one occasion) where he came down yelling, “hockey is hockey let the boy’s play.” Of course I had to remind him hitting players and instructing his child to harm is not hockey. If that wasn’t bad enough he had to start yelling at my wife. I have seen another player from a second team, continually recklessly hit and harm our players. In both cases, I found the CBHL and coaches(of those teams) doing little to address this. To me it is a pattern that needs to be addressed. There seems to be parents, coaches, and clubs that don’t understand this is youth ice hockey. Hockey is physical sport. Hockey is not a reckless sport.

I feel the League and Clubs need to focus on the 98% of youth players that play with safety and respect in mind. When those 98% of kids come to play, you get a game like we had on Sunday. Sadly, I find the other 2% are tolerated and given chance after chance to change. Unfortunately, they don’t learn or change and it is our children that get repeatedly hurt.

Because of the failure of the CBHL to enforce the Zero Tolerance Policy of USA Hockey (thus far); I may not have my child play in the play-offs depending on the team. What I have seen from two unmentioned teams, and I have written letters to the CBHL, is just not youth ice hockey. My club has been great in hearing our concerns and I truly hope we get into and play you in the play-offs. I know what every team would win, would deserve a shot to be CBHL Champions. Your team already is above that title, attitude and game-play has already made them true champions. Your boys and our boys don’t need trophies.

Please let everyone involved know that one parent believes you all are a class hockey act and understand it isn’t about winning, it’s about the youth players, our children. When a victory comes from that, it is so much better for everyone.


Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment