Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Youth Ice Hockey: One and Done

With the new year only 3 days away, it is a good time for me to refocus on what I would like to help change in youth ice  hockey.

There are a lot of issues that can be addressed to reduce risk of injury. I know what I don't want to do. I don't want to start a new league or club. Why? I don't think that is the most efficient place to address change. They do a good job.

I think the best area is in the education of the parents and players.  Education in the form of the website we are developing to help parents learn and organize to find a voice, is one area I can address for change. Putting pressure on USA Hockey, Leagues, Referees, and Clubs is a good thing. I am not talking about finger pointing but requests on improving safety and on more thoroughly teaching our children how to check and protect themselves on ice. Emailing my concerns and ideas is another area I can address for change.

There is nothing wrong with asking for change and specifically pointing out what you want. That doesn't mean it will be done, but I can guarantee you will be listened to. And the more people that speak up and out, the better chance for change to happen more quickly.

My intention is to maintain the website, develop additional skills and training programs for the youth players, and push the idea of an immediate clear cut rule change.

One and Done
or
Check the Wrong Way & You Don't Play Anymore Today

The hit is what causes the injury. Teaching youth players to think before they hit by using a zero tolerance penalty will greatly reduce the risk of harm to your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment