Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Protecting Our Children From Head Injuries In Youth Ice Hockey

After great thought, I decided there has to be a better why for our children to learn to play the wonderful game of ice hockey and be better protected from head injury. Today, I start to discover they better way. I figured the best place to start is with USA Hockey. My son is registered with them to play in his league. I also figured I would start by asking questions and finding out what is currently going on in youth ice hockey. I know head injuries are a concern. The best way to discover a better way is to find out what is currently being done. I have no idea what changes may be coming or how issues are being addressed. So questions it is.

Here is a draft of my first letter to USA Hockey. I will post the response. I encourage any parent that is interested in finding a better way for our children to play youth ice hockey and be better protected from head-injury to friend my blog. The more people that express concern, the louder the voice. I encourage you to become a voice for our children.

The Letter: Sent to USA Hockey Membership Questions on their home page.

My son has been playing youth ice hockey for many years. He began checking hockey last year. Since watching the games, with checking introduced, I realized most kids don’t know how to check and are pretty much practicing hitting during a game. Who are they hitting? Other kids. Brutal hits are often fluffed off as part of the game or as learning. The size difference between players can be 50 or 60 pounds. That is ridiculous. As adults we can do more to protect our kids.

Many players do not know how to check and the penalties for bad-checks, head-shots, boarding and malicious hits are really no deterrent to a child or teenager. 2 minutes or 5 minutes is nothing to a child or teenager. The occasional 10 minute misconduct or major typically comes after a child is hurt. Immediate game ejections should take place. You have to get players attention before you can change behavior. It is quite simple. The penalties are too light. The NHL and NFL have finally decided to crack down on head hits and malicious hits. USA Hockey has to take the lead for youth ice hockey and do the same. I am wondering what is being done?

No contact to the head. No intentional player contact that causes head contact to the boards or ice surface. Any head contact by a player or head contact caused by a player will lead to an immediate game ejection and will be reviewed for future penalties. A clear rule similar to this is needed in youth ice hockey. Is something like this being worked on?

I am wondering what USA Hockey is doing to better deter the above type of hits that cause head trauma? How are you protecting our children from serious injury? How are you addressing unskilled checks and players that take runs at kids? Why don’t you have stronger penalties for head-hits and boarding?

Many European clubs don’t introduce checking too much later. They believe skating and skills need to come first. They recognize the huge weight and size disparities in 11-16 years olds. What is USA Hockey doing to create non-checking youth leagues or skill leagues or modified checking leagues?

I am curious because I believe that just because hockey is a physical sport, it is not justification to let out children get plowed into to the boards or suffer head injuries. That’s not hockey. Penalties that mean something to children and teenagers have to be implemented to both protect them and teach them the correct way to check and play with a physical presence. I’d like to know what USA hockey is doing to address this.

Gary Pilarchik.

No comments:

Post a Comment